It’s important for us to feel good in our own skin and to really look after our body’s largest organ. Skin types differ from person to person, not only are there different pigmentation but the sebum (oil production), elasticity and sensitivity can all vary drastically, meaning the way we care for our skins needs to match. You wouldn’t use oily products on oily skin or leave you skin dry and cracked throughout the day.
Below you’ll find a quick and simple, no fuss guide on how to keep your skin looking fresh and radiant so you can unleash it onto the world… or the cat.
1. Exfoliators: These are creams or face washes which have tiny hard micro beads in them to rub away dead skin particles and stimulate the skin to promote new cell growth. This method leaves skin polished, smooth and silky. Exfoliating before self tanning is advised so the product does not cling to dead cells on the surface which can leave skin looking patchy. Exfoliating your skin can also prevent ingrowing hairs as it removes most of the top layer of your skin so hairs won’t get stuck under this layer. Too much exfoliating can be damaging as it can be quite abrasive so one to two times per week is advised.
2. Cleansers: Cleansers remove oil, dirt and make-up , usually used as a face wash or the product is removed with a warm wet hessian cloth to open pores and remove grime from deep down. Used at least once a day as part of a beauty regime, it makes way for other products to be easily absorbed into the skin.
3. Toners: Toners are used to firm the skin and tighten your pores so your skin looks healthier and younger. Toners can be quite drying so it is important to pair your routine with a good quality night cream to inject some moisture back into your face. Again these can be used at least once per day.
4. Moisturizers: There’s a moisturizer for every skin type it seems, oil free and mattifying types for oily skin to extra hydrating lotions for skin that’s very dry. It’s important to include a moisturizer into your routine so your skin is protected against external environmental factors such as pollution and the sun, since a lot of moisturizers have built in barriers to protect you against harmful environmental factors and lock in your other lotions and potions underneath. Well hydrated skin is a great base for makeup to be applied and self tan as the beauty products will set evenly.
5. Anti Aging Moisturizers: Hundreds of anti-aging moisturizers can be bought on the market which claim to turn back the clocks to a more youthful, radiant you. Fighting skin problems such as blotchy redness, large pores, sagging skin, crow’s feet and wrinkles makes way for better looking skin which aim to shed years off your appearance.
6. Steam: Steam facials involve subjecting your face to hot steamy water sometimes infused with essential oils to relax you or treat your skin. You pores open up and your skin is more accepting of any deeper nourishing treatments you may want to give straight after, such an intense moisturizer . This is the best way to allow products to work deeper or you maybe happy with a straight steam treatment to feel extra clean.
7. Serums: Are often oily thick liquid is jam packed full of potent skin loving nutrients that give your face a truly deep nourishment. Whether you choose a day or night serum (or both) Put your serums on before your moisturizers to lock in the goodness.
8. Essence: Similar to a serum or mistaken for a serum entirely, these watery liquids are highly concentrated with vitamins and minerals like regular serums but suit some users more because of the texture. You could use an essence for your day wear and a thicker serum before you go to bed.
9. Face Masks: The ultimate must have product for a girly night in! These come in varieties of formats (creams or pre-structured marks with eye and mouth holes) colors, smells, flavors and functions. Some of them smell so good you could eat them. Designed to be layered on the face and left to harden, masks can nourish and inject moisture into your skin within minutes. Some even draw out any blackheads and excess sebum around the T-zone refreshing your skin. Perfect for a night in painting your nails or having a relaxing bubble bath.
10. Make-up Removers: You’ll be surprised at how much dirt or makeup is left on your skin after using a wet wipe to clean your face. Makeup removers are designed to lift off even the most stubborn makeup (waterproof makeup and lip stains) and gives your face an ultimate clean feeling and can be used every time you want to remove make-up. Most removers are infused with moisturizers or cleansers so you’re not drying your skin out too much.
11. Acid Peels: Acid peels are self explanatory, this acidic liquid will intensely remove a layer of skin. Fights off pimples, wrinkles and blotchy red skin pigments and more so it’s great for an intense treatment which will start changing your skin. Even though you will be using a low acidic volume it is imperative to read the instructions and only leave acid peels on for the recommended time as your skin can start to sting and become sensitive. If you want to have a less intense treatment, apply it for less time and add a moisturizer to your skin after.
12. Buffer Brushes: Yes there are brushes for the face which polishes your skin leaving it silky smooth. These can either be sponges, handheld brushes or electrical devices with spinning, rotating head to remove make-up up, oil and dirt that claim to clean the skin better than manual exfoliation or cleansing. Use on average twice a week.
13. Acne Treatment: This ranges from topical creams, pills or medical treatments such as laser surgery, light surgery, and chemical peels. Either to combat the current pimples or to reduce the appearance of scarred tissue which is caused by damaging the lower level of your epidermis from pimple popping. It’s often a more extensive type of treatment which requires medical guidance if you need laser or light surgery.
14. Acupuncture: Tiny long needles are carefully and painlessly put into the layers of your skin. Some users of this method claim it reduces sebum, tightens pores, reduces redness and combats wrinkles as it promotes the skin to naturally reproduce collagen, our body’s own plumping agent which diminishes as we age. You will need to go back for regular treatments the time between sessions depend on the intensity needed. Results are apparent the next day. Not for the faint hearted though!
15. Botox: Popularized by celebrities and A-Listers, this is the name given to one substance made from a neurotoxin that is injected in small doses into the desired area on the face to give an instant lift, pout or to combat wrinkles and aging skin. It is medically used to treat muscle conditions by blocking the nerve signals and temporarily paralyzing the muscle for some time, and now it has entered the cosmetic surgery world to give women and men alike the confidence boost they desire. The neurotoxin is injected as a course over several months to maintain the results. Yes there are horror stories plastered across the media from time to time from allergic reactions to permanent damage because of miss-use or poor administration, but Botox can give you the desired effect you want and should always be given by a qualified doctor or plastic surgeon.
16. Derma Rollers: Similar to acupuncture, this is a hand-held roller device with tiny needles attached to the barrel that are rolled over, and allowed to penetrate the skin of the patient. By doing so your skin repairs the minor damage made from the needles and the medium layer of your skin starts reproducing collagen which has been lost through aging and causes the skin to sag or look old. From this safe treatment (which can be used on wrinkles to stretch marks) your skin becomes more plump and rejuvenated without the risks associated with Botox or plastic surgery. You can purchase home kit derma rollers or book yourself into a clinic for a more luxurious treatment.
17. Light and Laser Treatment: This type of treatment should only be carried out by professionals in a fully equipped spa. It involves intense light or laser beams to penetrate your skin to the required level to treat acne, acne scars, wrinkles, crows feet, rosacea, sagging skin to name a few. Consultations are treatment plans can only be worked out on an individual basis.
It’s always nice to book yourself into a spa and have a facial done by a professional, although with some of these methods you can bring the spa experience to your home for a much cheaper price. So now you’re a little more clued up in the world of facials.
Why not try one of the products or methods out!